Thursday, July 10, 2014

You know you're talking to someone good because you never run out of things to say

It's funny how you start your day with me, and I end mine with you. There's something... I don't know, about it. I read this book by Stephen King called 11/22/63 about (LONG story short) a guy who goes back in time to make sure JFK never dies. He has to live in the 60s for a while and he keeps noticing what he calls these harmonies. Things from his future that are resonating in the past, kind of like echoes. That always stuck with me, but it never seems to make sense in conversation. But I want to say that you starting your day with me and me ending mine with you is harmonious in that way. I'm glad that you felt the urgent need to do it! It's funny, I spend about an hour on this most nights (Okay, so often I'm watching Friends or Parks and Rec or HIMYM or 30 Rock, but still) so it's a good thing I'm not working. Silly facebook for not notifying you. I was pretty happy with my pneumonic too...

Glad to hear your interview went well! I meant to text you, but I got sucked into a photoshop vortex trying to design artwork for my blog that doesn't exist. Naturally. It's good though that you aren't 'Eh' about it. Always a strong sign. And that you had a nice time talking with your director. At least you can assume you have one vote in your corner! It's so crazy to me the intense interviews you have to go through. My interviews are usually twenty minutes at most. If you meet more than one person it's probably because the other person didn't know they were using that room. Even for LIVE, which is more structure and part of a larger company. It must be good to hear though how different the environment is from Barclay's. Sometimes, no matter how much you try to care about the position and location and salary, all that really matters is the culture.

I've gotten a lot better at not beating myself up after interviews. Early on, I would overanalyze, think of things I should have said. I still do that, but through more of a window of knowing that what I said was good enough. I told myself the same things about tests, but that was usually a defense mechanism. Or whatever that thing in psychology is called. Cognitive dissonance? No that's not it. The thing where you tell yourself there was nothing that you could have done so that you don't feel like you let yourself down, when really you should have studied more. That thing. I had a chronic case of that in school.

You know what I was thinking today? In a somewhat serious way? How cool would it be to be a visual effects artist. It's creative and technical, but I don't know how technical it actually is. I really know nothing about it. But I watched this really cool before and after effects video of Game of Thrones and I was just like "That is so cool! I want to do that" Or animation. I've always had this idea that I can draw, even though there has never been any proof to substantiate. Just something to think about I suppose.

Thank you for the constant reminders and faith that good things are coming and that what is meant to be will happen and what doesn't happen is not meant to be. It's good to hear, especially applied to so many different things. It kind of implants it into my way of thinking in general. I like that. I did seriously have mixed feeling about this job today. The idea of having to potentially start waking up at 5am and going to work starting Friday filled me with dread. On the other hand, an 8-5 day would have given me so much more of a life at night, to see people or get dinner or whatever. There was the mixed benefit and drawback of being at LIVE again, knowing what an amazing time in my life that was and still knowing that this was not at all the same situation. In the end, it matters not. And I'm glad I didn't get it if it wasn't for me. I was also literally on my way to therapy when I got the call so I pretty much pulled an Erica and just walked into my Dr. Tom's office with my feelings. Awesome. (#WeirdReasonforExcitement) Also, "Every no you get leads you one step closer to a yes." was runner up for post title.

Sorry I made you almost cry at work. Or come as close as you would. There should be a word for sorry that doesn't mean "I wish I wouldn't have done it." Because there are apologies for something you've done and sympathy for something that simply happened. If there was another word it would really eliminate the annoying problem of saying something like "I'm sorry you have a cold" and people answering "It's not your fault." Ugh. Ticket collector sounds like such a cool job though, where you meet lots of people. I feel like ticket collectors are the only remaining nice people sometimes. Like who would expect NJ transit people to be nice? But I always found the people on the train to be lovely.

I've always loved nicknames and wanted them for myself and others, but I don't really have nicknames for any of my friends. I like Moni if you like it! But the idea of calling you that sounds weird. I guess having never met a Monisha before you, it never had a personality (ie., too serious) From now on, when I meet a Monisha, I'll have to say, "I can't call you that because you aren't awesome enough for that name." People have nicknames for me I guess. My family used to call me Jensky when I was younger, Eric calls me Gins, Amanda and Tali call me Yenna. My sister calls me Jennifer, so that's... weird. But still affectionate so I'll take it. Nicknames make you feel special and thought of for long enough to find something more personal about you. For me anyway, it makes me feel like the person who came up with kind of planted a flag saying, staking some kind of claim. "I claim a piece of this friendship pie for my own, and I'm labeling it with my own special code." So it's nice that Sid has a bunch for you!

(Weekend update intro music here)
TRIP TALK: I mean, we'll talk more about this tomorrow, but I'm good to go. We can definitely talk about booking soon (although maybe more research might be in order first. I told my friend we were thinking the last week in August and that things weren't definite, but we might be in Denmark the 25th or 26th ish. Her name is Mette by the way. Here's a link to how to pronounce it, although I usually just say Meta. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFBkWgvwYaw I actually got a little better after watching some Danish shows. So that's cool.

I'm going to see if I can maybe find one of those "travel like a local" type books that I just invented. The good thing about going to these places is that I don't know what there is to see, so I probably won't feel like I'm missing out if we don't. It's not like going to China and doing all the local-type things but never getting to see the Great Wall of China, you know? Or vice versa really. I don't know the difference.

It's so true what you say about getting famous from blogs these days. Part of the reason I really want a (successful) blog is because of the doors they open, but I know it's hard and you have to have a really good handle on your niche and your brand. I need to carve out a niche for myself!!! Anyway, I'll be in touch tomorrow about dinner plans. Let me know what time I should aim to be in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment