Friday, July 18, 2014

Mind the Gap

I had every intention of writing yesterday until it was close to midnight, and I had forgotten. The same thing happened today, but hopefully I still have enough time to write something of substance. I'm glad you were a lot calmer and happier after our talk. It seemed like it worked out a lot more seamlessly that you probably anticipated, so alls well that ends well.

Sorry to hear about your tense situation at home. Hopefully it's better by now. Are you home this weekend? It seems like that might help since you'd be around. As you know, I deal with my fair share of passive-aggressive behavior in my family, and it is NOT fun. But if you are really able to move on from it, and you are both or all comfortable dealing with it in that way and then moving forward, then I don't see the harm. This reminds me a little of the fight we had about the jelly. I felt so guilty and wanted to say so about a hundred times and you were just cool moving on. I guess it just depends on your communication methods. I read something once that said something along the lines of: Despite popular wisdom, you SHOULD go to bed angry, because it'll all look different in the morning. Now, I really don't remember where I saw it, and I feel like it may have just been on someone's Facebook wall, but I don't see how that's any less a good point than the original. Again, maybe it's all about what works for you.

Sometimes, the hardest thing is not feeling properly heard though, so I get what you're saying about a. wanting them to understand that your initial reaction is just what you normally do and not how you will later deal with it and b. being upset that your mother was still angry after you had completely rearranged your schedule. If it makes you feel any better, I hear you, and I understand that you took the hit to avoid further conflict when you didn't necessarily have to.

I remember Andy!!! He was so much better at not getting in the way of the door than Rocket was. But damn did Rocket have a cooler name. Also, I'm pretty sure we had pinecones in common first? Do you know me but at all???

So, I've been helping out Eric's grandmother and making some money. It's kind of absurd how tired you get just running errands. Like how is it that driving in your car and walking around a large building putting items in a shopping cart are taxing activities. Yet, I feel like a worked a full day. (it was 5 hours) The good thing is it's gotten me moving (and also, the money.)

TRIP TALK:
Just so you know, I do keep looking at flights, but I think it still makes sense to wait until Tuesday. And then comes the rest of the planning! I am so excited that we are making this happen. It's so rare for me to think about something and then actually do it, so this is a pretty inspirational adventure for me. I mean honestly, I say things all the time and don't follow through. It's a chronic problem in my family. Actually doing this makes me feel so in control of life.
In term of hostels, I would be fine staying with others. I like meeting strangers assuming they aren't rude, and maybe they'd have some travel tips. I bought the sleeve for the camera- hopefully it fits!- but I do feel better learning about the lockers. Should we bring combination locks? I feel like I have a couple but god knows if I remember the combinations. Anyway, gotta run now, but we'll be in touch and you'll be here next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment