Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I thought I was going to let this go until the morning

But here we are. I felt a little overwhelmed and thought I'd sit on my feelings for a minute, but I decided it might be better to just write them (since eating them is still not an option...this nutrition NONSENSE)

So let me start by saying if anyone understands family guilt, it's me- so I get it about Saturday. I'm sad that I won't see you, but this is pretty advanced notice, so I'll take it. I don't think I have plans for the end of July? I'll let you know if anything that was there all along pops up, but I will commit to not being away that weekend or inviting a different friend, deal? Next weekend my mom will be away, so that means I'm probably going to find myself away as well. I hope your hiking plans don't fall through. Meanwhile have fun in North Carolina. It's nice that you have a lot of family stuff this month. Especially since you like that stuff. Me, I could take it or leave it, but that's mostly to do with the family.

Also, I'm so happy that you found an apartment that you like with people that you like so quickly and easily! This does contribute to my overwhelming feelings, but it's not so much to do with you as with me, so the important part is that I AM happy for you and can't wait to see your place and the high ceilings and the roof. It's so exciting! Incidentally, I don't know if you've ever told me about this love or if I just share it so I assumed you had it too, but either way, me too. My friend Tali (who lives on the UWS) lived in Hoboken for a while and her apartment had such high ceilings it was bananas. I loved that. Conversely, I've also always love tiny spaces like lofts, which Tali's apartment had too. Her roommate's room was pretty much just the ceiling with a step-like ladder. But yeah, lofts, top bunks, hidden nooks, bay windows where you can read, the space out on the roof where people seem to sit in TV shows a lot... I've never outgrown that either.

I'm reading The Giver for the first time. Have you read it? I have this feeling that most of my friends growing up read it in elementary school or maybe middle school, and I was always conscious of this though I never felt the need to read it myself. (There is also a Jewishly-themed book called The Chosen that I think I always confused it with. When they said they were making a movie of The Giver, it surprised me because I thought they meant The Chosen. I never knew what either was about.) The Giver is good though, and it's small both in size and length, which makes the reading part fast, which I find speeds me up because getting far in a book is fun and makes you want to continue. My last book was long and my next book is ABSURDLY long too, so it's a nice intermission. It was also written in 1993, which makes it seemingly ahead of it's time in the YA Dystopia department, which makes it more interesting to me, but then I guess I should really go back further to 1984 and stuff. Some day.
(P.S. Here is a picture of my next book. They sent me the Large Print Edition from the library. Luckily I also have it for Nook. https://twitter.com/jennagrunfeld/status/482218343890317312)

Glad to hear that We Were Liars is getting good. I started a bunch of sentences, but decided I should just wait until you're done for all that. I still have a few episodes left of Orange is the New Black. I don't know how. I watched the first 9 in about three days and then tried to budget the rest, and ended up just not going back to it. I will though. Just keep forgetting to watch stuff on the computer instead of the DVR.

So I guess I should at some point get to the overwhelming. I guess I'll say it's triggered by you moving because you're moving and Amanda's moving and I'm not moving. It's not this one thing, and it's not your fault OF COURSE, and I do mean it when I say I'm excited for you. As you know, I've been in a stressed place lately anyway, so it comes and goes in waves. Honestly, I guess I'm just in a transitional period in life without really knowing how and where to transition, and it feels like people are doing it around me with ease. And I know that's not true, since you're also trying to figure stuff out and do something different, but it feels overwhelming when people are moving around you and you're standing still (I mean moving here in the general sense, not as in living spaces.) Right after reading this, I logged onto Facebook and there was a new port by JARS by Dani just waiting for me, which made it worse. I don't know if I've mentioned this to you, but I feel like I tell people about it a lot. This girl my age that I know from my year in Israel owns this business where she essentially bakes things and puts them in jars and it seems to be doing really well. And every time she pops up on my feed, I'm just like, seriously? You're a successful business owner? How? Why? Nothing to do with her personally of course, she's great and there is no reason why she doesn't deserve a business it's just that someone my age has accomplished in that way (it seems) that makes me panic and, as a result, scoff every time. You can google it if you're curious. They are pretty. [end of long tangent about jars]

I got a call today about a position opening sort of at Live (it's in the promos department and technically working for another company, but still) and apparently there is another position opening too. Both of these things are great news and I'm trying to re-frame my mind so that I can learn how to be excited about non-London things again. I loved it there. I think I would again, though there is something unsettling about "moving backward" just in the sense that it's going back to a place where I was three years ago. I know that it would be different, and I don't know what to make of that either (good news? bad news?) I would also like to note that this call came in just as I was connected to someone at the Austrian Consulate. When I called back the citizenship guy was at lunch. I know I've said this before, but should I be taking these as anti-London signs?

On the lighter side, I've thought of two blogs names that I really like. Naturally, because they are good, they are both taken. They are "Witty in the City" and "Snarky in the City." Both have their charms (rhymes, alliteration). Witty in the City seems to be a fairly popular foodish blog. Snarky in the city is a girl in Dallas I think. I kinda feel like I can use it anyway. Is that incorrect? Obviously the domain is taken, but other than that? Can't I just call it SnarkyintheCityblog.com or whatever? I like it because it would potentially transfer to other cities, and it has a ring to it, and it's less weird with the connotations. Thoughts? I know that talking this much about it and not doing it is ridiculous, but my gears are churning and having an identity would help probably maybe? My brain is fried and half of this probably didn't make sense. I'll let you know when I'll be around the city!



No comments:

Post a Comment