Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Itineraries are exciting

TRIP TALK: I just don't get people who think organization is boring. Planning this trip is going to be half the fun. Probably. Hopefully. Maybe, like, a quarter of the fun. Okay, so I looked over the itinerary and it looks like a good skeleton. I'll have to ask Mette about what there is to do within walking distance on Friday night or Saturday. I don't know if/how much we've spoken about the whole Shabbat thing so we'll have to discuss it. Here is the last thing she sent me:
Okay! You can of course stay with me in Aarhus! It'll be great. I'm in France now with no computer, but just to let you know you can sail from Norway to the north of Jutland by boat (to Frederikshavn, I think or Hirtshals) and take the train from there to Aarhus.

But I will come back to you with tips on Wednesday

I'm the only 'can't miss' in Denmark. And the little Mermaid

Just be prepared. The little mermaid is very small

Oh, and Louisiana is the best museum in Copenhagen.

Sidenote, when you paste from Facebook into here you can type right into the bubble. I looked into the sailing thing. The only one from Oslo to Frederikshavn (these names, jeez) seems to be at 7pm, which wouldn't work Friday night or Saturday because of Shabbat (ugh). I read about the Norway in a nutshell trip and that certainly seems like the thing to do. The book says we can do it on our own or with a package. Also that it'll be crowded. But it seems like most people go all the way through and start in Bergen and end up in Oslo or vice versa. Obviously, I know nothing about Bergen, but if we go through to Oslo we get to see another city. Again, just throwing it out as something to think about. As for the flight, those look good, though I feel like I saw some non stop flights for $500something on expedia and cheapoair. Also if we leave Sunday morning, from Aarhus, that doesn't really give us any time to see anything not on Shabbat. Can you see this? http://www.tripadvisor.com/CheapFlights?roundtrip=yes&Orig=NYC&Dest=CPH&adults=1&leaveday=24&leavemonth=08%2F2014&leavetime=anytime&retday=31&retmonth=08%2F2014&rettime=anytime&x=73&y=20
Here's a screencap in case...
Let me know when you want to absolutely be home by. I feel like that will give us a better idea of when we need to leave. 
In terms of packing, I tend to overpack, but the more I know about what we are doing, the more targeted I can be in my packing. I can look at weather and make decisions accordingly and all that. I mean, I don't have a backpacking backpack, so that doesn't seem super feasible. Also we should take into account the time it will take to fly everywhere if we have to do security each time. Although I guess it would be faster than trains regardless. P.s. we should think about power adapters and what we'll need to charge stuff.
Anywho... 

I'm thinking of buying a neoprene type sleevey thing like THIS for the camera. That way I can throw it in my bag while we walk around without worrying about a. carrying too much stuff b.carrying the bulky camera bag and basically walking around with a "tourist" sign and most importantly c. it's protected and not just loose in my bag. I just have to figure out if that would fit my camera with my lens. 

I've always had a little bit of trouble relating to Erica because I don't live with regrets like that, but I guess you're right. My crazy is in the future instead of the past. That actually makes a lot of sense. And still, the advice and life lessons were always relatable anyway. Being present is very difficult, which I guess could bring us back to the Waitbutwhy... It seems like at this stage in life though, most of what I do is planning for the future. What's the next job? Where will I live? When will I get an apartment? London??? And maybe that is more about my stage right now than a chronic problem of "Future Overthink" Or maybe that's what I always say. 

It's so nice having friends in different places. I had a conversation with a friend this weekend about how even though it can be nice having a "group" that you do everything with, I find that I'm happier when I have friends in different places. He disagreed, which I think is interesting just because it's always interesting when people have opinions that are different. I know this sounds obvious, but in this case we both have the same facts and information, but we just feel differently. I'm not articulating well, but someday I'll say this again, and it'll sound deep.

I do hear what you're saying on spending time only on the people that have staying power in your life. That said, I also think people tend to surprise you. Some of my closer friends are people that I didn't feel an immediate connection, and there are times when your similarities with someone else take time or perhaps an exact moment before you see them. So for that reason I say, always be open to it because you never know. 

For me, in this blog at least, I would agree that you're good at the tough love. Me, not so much. Too worried about the mammoth I guess (Stupid mammoth...). I do really believe strongly in honesty and being who I am and saying what I feel unapologetically as long as it's about me and no one gets hurt. I feel like people hide behind honesty sometimes and don't care about the feelings of others, but there is a middle ground. Wow I'm super not making sense tonight. Talk about a work in progress... The nice thing about this blog is I'm going to post this anyway even though inmy right my mind we would call this a "draft."

Your world cup adventure sounds like so much fun. It makes me wonder where I'll be four years from now and who I'll be with. Will I be at a bar somewhere watching the finals? Will I be in this country? Will I be with friends? Co-workers? A significant other? The future is a mystery!!! 

I'm glad you liked hearing about Austria. I really thought that was interesting too, especially since I never knew about the whole Poland aspect. My dad seemed to imply that he had deliberately left it out of the story. Guess he never expected it to come up! ha! I'd be happy to share more about my grandfather's whole story with you. Maybe when you're here so that my dad can tell you. It's such an interesting story honestly, it feels like a movie. I didn't know my grandfather, but from the stories, he didn't seem like one for hyperbole, which makes it all the more impressive. 

Tomorrow (Tuesday) is a fast day, so I probably won't be that functional. This fast day starts a period known as the 3 weeks, culminating the anniversary of the destruction of the temple (the ninth of the month of Av). The Ninth of Av is generally thought to be a terrible day in Jewish history. A disproportionate amount of bad things have happened on that day. I say this not to be pessimistic, but just to say that the state of the world and the middle east and Israel is scary right now, and going into this period of time makes it somewhat scarier. On a completely different note. Fasts are supposed to make you forget about food and focus on what is important. Given how much time I've been spending focusing on food lately, it will be good for me to focus my mind elsewhere if I can. (Normally, I just end up thinking about my hunger... 



No comments:

Post a Comment