Tuesday, July 8, 2014

And suprising yourself in that way is the best feeling

So I hadn't realized Gone Girl had trailers out yet but I promptly went and watched them after you mentioned it, very excited for the movie but my biggest fear is that it should do the book justice. I completely agree that Nick is subtle mutli-faceted character and I also don't know if Ben Affleck is right for that. Especially in the trailer when they showed him smiling, I don't know it was a bit off. I do respect how they managed to keep the suspense in tact that since you know that's kind of the whole point. I have read Night Circus and think of it often (mostly to wish that the circus was real because it sounded awesome).

 I totally see what you mean with the age thing. I think of it a lot in terms of myself too. Like 10 years ago I was 14 and just a completely different person but I don't feel all that different so it's weird that somewhere along the way that change happened. I feel like I've even changed a lot the 2 years since I graduated which is even more bizarre to me since I view my working life as a static period of time but remember when I used to say that I don't care about politics? Well somewhere along the way I realized it was stupid to not care about the world and country you live in and got over myself.

Glad to hear your LIVE interview went well. Let me know when you find out! I have an interview tomm at a consulting firm that I'm actually not dreading. Thus far every interview Ive been on has went well but the whole time they were describing the job I'd be like...eh. It will be interesting to see how I feel during this one. Another quirky ( I wanted to say cool but I dont really know if it is cool) thing about this is that the person interviewing is actually my old director who left Barclays to go to this company. So that's something.

I think for you though with the LIVE thing, you are right and it will be what it will be. Older people always tell me to not plan out my life and I always just stare at them because that to me seems impossible. But in the grand scheme of things they are right because I don't think anything has really gone as per plan up until now and yet I seem to somehow be doing fine.Even today my older friend at work was telling me that ultimately the things that really matter in life you have little to no control over. You just kind of have to have faith that good things are meant for you.

Ok now to the trip: So based on your sister's schedule it looks like we can do early aug or late aug. If we want to be crazy and do the first week of August, we could. Or if that is too stressful then I think we have two options for the end of Aug. Either we do the week of the 17th like you said (in which case we wouldnt be able to visit your friend so thats a little sad) or the week after which goes into labor day which again I am open to. The only thing with that is it's very close to me going to India but I feel if its the only good option then we can make it work. I looked at flight prices today to Denmark for kicks and it doesnt seem outrageous compared to what I paid for Europe last year so thats good. The only annoying thing is that the only flights on Sunday leave in the night (like at 9pm) but that may change the closer the date gets.

Before I freak you out anymore I do want to say that I do take travel stuff pretty seriously so if at any point what I am saying is stressing you out please just tell me and I will calm down. I think this is something I get from my mom (my sister does it too so I know it runs in the family) and I know what it can be like on the receiving end (and yet I can't help but continue to do it).

I also looked up some pictures of Copenhagen and it looks absolutely beautiful. I think if we have a week we could possibly do Copenhagen,Aarhus, spend a day in Sweden( it seems possible to do a day trip from Denmark), and then a day in Oslo and another day trip to the Fjords (north Norway). If this is too much then I think we should probably cut out Norway and stick to Denmark and Sweden for a more relaxed itinerary which I would also be fine with. I'm honestly pretty flexible on most things I just like to be organized and have plans before-hand so we know what to expect. We can plan the chill Saturday accordingly as well, no worries.

Hopefully you know what's going on with LIVE by our weekend in Aug in which case I can stay over Sat night and we can plan all this out =)

I do support you trying to cut back on TV because you're right in that while it's one really cool awesome thing about you there are many other cool awesome things about you. This actually kind of reminds me of another Waitbutwhy post I posted on my facebook, I really liked it (this one I hope you find less depressing):

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/06/taming-mammoth-let-peoples-opinions-run-life.html

I feel like our lives continue to be parallel because I was also thinking I should not watch anymore tv shows than I already do (which is not that many but still), because I was thinking about the activities which genuinely make me happy and while TV does make me happy to a certain extend I definitely don't feel accomplished after a day spent watching TV.Also, someone told me that once I move to the city I will have a lot more time to watch TV and I thought that was so silly that I would be paying that much in rent just so I would have more time for TV when really I spend a lot of my commuting time reading so this definitely seems more productive.  It's definitely true what you say about themes seeping through too, I felt that way after watching Orange is the New Black about different races and even just jail in general. I wouldn't go cold turkey because you do work in the field but I think cutting back could be productive.

Something cool I wanted to share with you, when I was in Maryland this weekend my sister was searching for something in her email and found all these emails our grandpa sent us from like 2000. It was so interesting because back then I was a child and couldn't appreciate how good his writing was. And this was in an email (he was really formal about it but still) so I can only imagine how good it must have been when he sent in letters to the editor and stuff. It was really cool and nostalgic but it also really got me thinking about how I have it so easy and Im still not making the most of what I had. Like my grandpa wasn't a writer, he didn't grow up in a time with computers but he still somehow managed to get himself to be really good at writing and learned how to use a computer after he was 70 and be amazing in general. It also kind of made me feel like I don't give enough importance to writing. I've always liked to write but it's never something I really worked on or cared about, I just did whenever I had time because I wanted to. I guess in a way that's good too because I never tainted it by putting pressure on it. But it just seems dumb to be now that I was all like oh look how good I am at math, this is what my career must be made out of and I never enough stopped to think about what other things I was good at and liked to do you know? Anyways this is all kind of ramblings now but I guess I say it to remind myself to not repeat those mistakes (not that I regret anything I have done I just feel I could have been more self-aware but eh there we go again).

This is part of the email in case you were interested:

Dear Pavithra,
The photos mailed by you seen. Especially, I liked the old photos that bring to surface the nostalgic memories of the younger years. Old is gold, the adage goes. Preservation of such early photos is very rare but your mother has done a splendid documentation of the above. Photography in our younger years was a luxury and in fact the first ever photo in our family dates back to 1920 followed by the other in 1937. During my wedding days to (1953) covering of such functions were very rare. This trend was a little reversed in August 1979 during Viji’s marriage. From 1983 the momentum picked up. Our golden wedding day anniversary set a record in such snaps and video , thanks to you and Moni for the interest evinced with such professional touch. I am saving some important of these in Photo I am also checking the available disk space as and when I save these.  Some of the Bangalore photos taken by you have come well.  I will send some copies ny closed post (Not Book Post) shortly.
Study well and carve a niche for yourself and be a peer in academic pursuit. God Almighty Bless you.



I'm really looking forward to our weekend together. It's still a bit surreal to me that this is July but in a good way.




No comments:

Post a Comment