Sunday, July 13, 2014

Planning is so exciting

TRIP TALK: I just needed to do it first because I'm pumped! I messaged my friend again with our dates, and asking if she has any can't-misses in Copenhagen. No Worries about the google doc. If you'd rather email and whatever I'll just create a label in my inbox. Flights to and from Norway are a lot more money actually so it makes sense to fly to and from Denmark. I also looked into Aarhus a little more and it'll be cool to see a whole different area. It's like across a body of water from Copenhagen, a totally different region. Excited. Also, I'm just throwing this out there so you can think about it as you're planning, but if you find there is more you want to do in Norway and you don't want to do Sweden, then we can definitely talk about that. Even though we probably won't use these means, I love that you can get from Copenhagen to Aarhus or Aarhus to Oslo partially by ferry. Did you read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? It takes place in Sweden and whenever I look at maps I keep thinking about the cities in which it takes place. Side note. Anyway. Yes to not wearing ourselves out. It seems like you know what you're doing though, so I trust you to figure out how much is just enough.
I'll try and get some books from the library too, but I don't really understand that place since it was renovated. Plus they're not open on weekends.

Oh the JARS. I saw a friend from my Israel school on Friday and we were discussing our Love/Hate relationship with it. It's so strange.

I just want to get out the open that I'm a little anxious about my camera and the trip. I foresaw this being a problem before buying the camera, but I'm kind of nervous about bringing it and not feeling like carrying it around or what happens if I have to leave it in a hostel, you know? I'm sure people travel with cameras all the time and I shouldn't worry- this is why I bought it after all, isn't it?-, but I have been and just wanted to say it.

It's funny that I just told you about that book and the harmonies because my family friend was reading it today and was asking me questions about specifically the significance of that. It's so hard to talk to people about something you've read or seen and they haven't finished yet, but I oddly believe it is one of my skills. I like to think I give thorough and spoiler free answers when asked.

That's great that the recruiter said you had positive feedback! I know it may not seem like much, but if their process is slower, that may be all they can give right now, in which case that's great! Change is scary. I certainly would be in a position to disagree with that. I often have that same anxiety when I think I get a job. Planning all the consequences and life changes of something that isn't real yet feel ridiculous, but as you saw last week with the Live thing, I'm definitely a serious offender.

When I was first looking for a job at the end of college, I was talking to Steve Miller, the head of my department about it. He is Jewish and knew I am religious so I confided in him how worried I was about having to tell potential employers about shabbos and if it was even possible. He's not the type to really have patience for that crap, but his message was a strong one that basically comes down to- Worry about getting the job first. Don't worry about the things that come after. It's something I've told myself over and over since then. I think it's just some people's personality to think 8 hypothetical steps ahead like that. And though reminding myself of his advice doesn't always stop me from doing it, it does tend to give me perspective on what I'm doing. Like, yeah, you're worrying about what is going to happen and those feelings are valid, but just keep in mind that they are several steps ahead of where your brain really needs to be.

Your co-worker does sound wise. I'm glad you broke down what you were hesitant about. Sometimes they can be real reasons, and dissecting it gave you the peace of mind of knowing that you are just worried because it's a big change and it's outside your comfort zone. But it's good and exciting to get outside your comfort zone! Sometimes, you have to leave something that partially good to get to something entirely better. Plus, when I think about freelancing and moving on to different jobs all the time, I always enjoy knowing that I'll have friends in different places from past jobs.

This blog is my Dr. Tom in a lot of ways too. Especially since you're so good at the tough love. Sometimes I need validation, but I do need that push probably even more. You've been good at pushing me into jumping into the London thing, for example, and I really needed (and still need) that. I think part of the reason I want to get my blog going is that in my mind I think it could even help.

Speaking of London, I took the opportunity of this weekend with my dad to talk to him about Austria. He was a lot more responsive than I thought, and said that his father took pride in being Austrian and didn't seem to blink about giving them the documents. In fact, he was excited to talk about it and went to get them out as soon as we got home. A slight potential hiccup is an interesting story that I never knew. Apparently, my grandfather was born in a city called Brody. When he was born, in 1913 (Whoa!) Brody was an Austrian city. But, around 1920, it became a part of Poland. So, when he was issued a passport by the Nazis, it says that he was born in Poland. I don't know if this will be a problem, because technically he was born in Austria but his paperwork says he's Polish, and in any case he should count as a naturalized Austrian citizen. I think it would also probably possible to get a Polish citizenship instead if it comes to that, but being an Austrian citizen would be way cooler. I looked it up and Brody is apparently now part of the Ukraine. It's weird to think how thinks have changed over there in the last century. He would have been 101 this coming week.

It's strange and not really all that comfortable having this tumultuous relationship with my dad and yet needing him for this, especially since I really do enjoy learning about my family history. Apparently, we are Austrian on his mother's side too.

No comments:

Post a Comment