Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Have you seen the new trailer for Gone Girl?

It actually looks really true to the book, or maybe that's what they want me to think. I still have my doubts about Ben Affleck playing Nick. He's such a subtle, multi-faceted character. There are a lot of things that Ben Affleck is good at (directing, writing, sidekick/over the top character acting), but I'm afraid subtle and multi-faceted acting has never really been one of them. I'm staying optimistic though. One of the first things I read about We Were Liars was that it's like a YA Gone Girl, which was very interesting but also extremely damaging to the reading experience since it made me not trust any of the narrative. (By the way, I did see the Hugh Jackman mustache to which you are referring. He looks like an old-timey carnival man and it's marvelous. Also, did you ever read The Night Circus??? If not I can't believe it's taken me this long to emphasize that you really should!!!)

I'm glad you had a good time in North Carolina. Age and growing up is such a strange thing. Sometimes I get annoyed at my mom for thinking that I should have the same qualities I had as a child ("but you used to love Swedish fish!!!"), but when you think about it, most people do stay pretty true to themselves throughout. Which is why it's so much fun to imagine how kids are going to turn out. I do this all the time with Hannahbear. She's so active and social and personable. She loves the water, she loves the outdoors. These are all her nature, undoubtedly. It will be interesting to see a. how nurture plays a role and b. how those qualities develop with her, how they manifest later on. The whole thing fascinates me.

Today was my LIVE interview. I think it went well, but I did a pretty good job of just letting it be and not over-analyzing, so it'll be what it'll be. If I get it, I'll be starting immediately. So that's slightly... you know. But like I said. It'll be what it'll be.

Trip update: Soooo my sister went ahead and booked her trip from I believe the 6th through the 20th. My brother in law will be here just for the second week of that time, but that's pretty irrelevant. The Important thing is that we're going to a hotel the weekend of the 15th/16th/17th. So we should be looking at the week of the 17th for our trip and I'll work around my vague family plans accordingly. Hopefully, if I get this job, it won't be a problem. Here's what my friend from Denmark said:

August is a great time to be in Denmark if you're looking for good weather! July and August are the warmest months in Denmark. You definitely have to go to Copenhagen. From there it's easy to travel to Sweden with the train. I always wanted to travel to the very north of Norway. It's supposed to be so beautiful there.

I live in Aarhus which is the second largest city in Denmark and you can definitely stay with me if you come here! I will however be in France from the 18th to the 24th of August. I work week days, but if you come during a weekend I can take you to places in the area. Like Denmarks highest mountain. Just need to know in advance so I don't make other plans. I'd love to see you!!!

But if you only have a week I'd start in Copenhagen, see the castles there then move on to Sweden and Norway
So yeah, let me know your thoughts on that. Castles in Copenhagen sounds fun, and it's supposed to be a really nice city. I'd like to do a little research and figure out, even if we do two of the three which two it should be. We should also find a nice place for Saturday where we can walk around and see sights etc. if possible, but that's a detail for later.

In my head, you are great at standardized tests, so I would go solely based on that and not worry about a thing if I were you. You should watch House of Lies, but probably not for inspiration because it's not the most... glorifying portrayal of management consultants. It is a good show though. That being said, I'm trying to cut back on TV. I don't know if I've actually done this or it's just an idea in my head, but I think my brain is too tied to TV on several levels. I love it and all, but I never want that to be the only thing about me, and sometimes I feel like certain people see it that way. Like people want to set me up with certain guys because they're "also into media and tv and stuff". That's not all that I am. I know that, but I don't really act it. It would still be the first hobby I think of when someone asks, for example. My interests are vast, so I should act on those too.

I also feel that no matter how much you keep a realistic perspective and stay self-aware, themes and ideas about relationships and women and how to deal with things seep through. It's also such a distraction from actually DOING. And so that's been what I've been thinking for a while. I had a drastic idea that I should go a year without any TV. In a way it would be easier than picking and choosing which shows, but it's also really impractical in my line of work, so just cutting back then.

I hear what you're saying about moving out being a natural step. I think that's a healthy way of looking at it because things are a definitely less scary if they feel natural. Sometimes even when it's something that you know you can and will do, it's still a pleasant surprise when you actually do it. And surprising yourself in that way is the best feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment