Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Study well and carve a niche for yourself

Welcome to 5am. By the time I'm writing and posting this it's actually later than 5am. But I did wake up at 5am to take my mom to the airport so she can go to St. Louis. Going back to sleep is an option, but I now have a solid few hours of me time before my dad gets back from his annual "camping" trip. Also, last night I got a call from Barbara, my would-be boss at Live if I got the job. I called her back too late and I feel like she'll call first thing so I don't want to be asleep or just-woke-up-y on the phone when she calls so I'm writing to you instead. Also, it somehow seems vital to write this before I find out for sure about the job and my life and circumstances change completely. I'll let you know what happens.

I decided to write this post backwards, topic wise, because my brain is just warming up, and I think what you wrote about your grandfather was touching and beautiful and what he wrote was as well. First off, do your family members call you Moni? Because that's definitely something I needed to know, like, 5 years ago. It's so admirable, like you said, that your grandfather put so much emphasis on bettering himself, learning the computer and focusing on writing. What did he do? There is such an eloquence to his words and phrasing, that it was a little like reading The Great Gatsby. Not to mention that the parts about the oldest photographs are really interesting historically. It's so cool to think that people remember things like the first photo taken of them. It's crazy when you think about or Iphone age. Hannah had about a million photos taken of her before she was even a day old. Thanks for sharing that with me.

I definitely love the idea of our lives being parallel, and I understand exactly what you're saying about not feeling productive after a day watching TV. Sometimes, even when I feel it's what I need, I just end up all grumpy if I stay inside doing nothing. This is an absurd departure from who I was two years ago, not quite looking that hard for a job after college. Granted, I still wasn't really looking for a job because I don't necessarily feel ready to go back to work (because seriously. work.), but I've been more productive in my off time, working on London, reading more. And to be honest, I've been a lot less contented with moseying around. I've felt displaced, in flux, as I've expressed to you countless times over the last several weeks.

When I started working full-time and had no time for my shows, I had the same thought about being able to watch more TV living in the city. But that seems emptier now, and I'd rather use the convenience of location to see people more and do things! So yes, I am going to cut back. Even if I did start watching a new show last night. It's a silly MTV show though, so I don't know if it counts. Did you ever read The Face on the Milk Carton when you were a kid? I don't know why, but I always forget about it for long periods of time, and when I remember it, I remember how obsessed I was with it when I was younger. It's about a girl who sees her face as a child on a milk carton saying Have you seen this girl? or whatever. She discovers that her "parents" aren't really her parents, that a woman kidnapped her and that woman's parents have been raising her, unaware that she wasn't simply their granddaughter. Anyway, this show has a similar plot and I just couldn't NOT.

I read the waitbutwhy, but damn why does he have to write such long blogs posts. It was definitely less depressing and obviously extremely relatable. I loved the cartoon with the thoughts of the person singing. That's exactly why karaoke makes me nauseous. A lot of the parts of recognizing and taming the mammoth are things I feel I've gained from therapy over the years, so that's good. I always feel like I'm right at the beginning of my journey to understanding and overcoming stuff like that, but when I look back to where I was in high school, I actually think I've come pretty far. I also think it's funny because throughout the world cup, I feel like all people are posting about is "why are people pretending they care about soccer? You don't know anything about soccer blah blah..." and in reality, it's like, who cares? Watch it if you like it. In any case, it was a worthwhile read, so thanks.

TRIP TALK: You're not overwhelming me yet. Detail is great. I'll let you know if it gets out of hand. Early August is crazy. If you're willing to do the last week in August that might be best. Obviously, I'll let you know if/how Live affects all this, but I'm thinking of telling them that the trip is already planned? I don't want them to tell me I can't do it. And just for the sake of argument, assuming I do get the job, a week later would be better because I would have a slightly longer settling in period. So, if you're on board with that then I am too. Your plan about starting in Denmark, doing Aarhus, Stockholm, Oslo, and the fjords sounds great to me actually. I like the idea of doing those cool, different cities but also doing something nature-y. I'd go for that, and then based on research and planning, if it doesn't seem practical or possible, we can adjust. I'm going to need to really think before I pack. Also did we say you're coming coming to me July 26th? Because then you said August in your last post so I just wanted to clarify. Not that I ever have plans, but my luck I'll accidentally make them when you're coming. Better to ask.

Good luck with your interview!!! I SO get that feeling of dread, so it's GREAT that you don't feel it for this one. I hope you continue to be interested in it. And it is funny (or quirky or whatever) that you'll be interviewed by your old director. Hope that helps you! If you decided you want it to, that is.

It's funny what you said about politics. I didn't know you started caring about that stuff! I always try and steer clear of it with you, though in some ways I think I don't even notice how built in to my brain it is, so I'm sure I've never been that great at avoiding it. But the reason it's funny is that recently, tow of my close high school friends told me they've never voted and one of them wasn't even registered. I got so mad about this and spent longer than they would have cared for trying to convince them the many reason it was important. I was shocked though, that people with my relative personality and upbringing could care so little about this. And no matter how much I hear about "kids these days," it was the first time I truly felt the apathy.

I'm currently reading a book called The Goldfinch, which got so many good reviews, I kind of felt like I had to. The library sent me the large print edition though, so it's absurdly large. Luckily, I have it on my Nook also. Here is what it looks like:
RIGHT? I'm not sure how well you can tell, but it basically looks like the bible.

I saw Matilda this weekend. My mom and I took advantage of our girl time while my dad was away and went into the city to see if we could win the lottery for the 3pm show. Naturally we didn't, but they told us if we waited around, they would open up the remaining tickets for $42, so we went for it. We stood in the tiny lobby of the theater for two hours, not realizing that they would "open the tickets up" until RIGHT before the show. The whole thing was pretty dumb because we were crowded up the entrance as people with tickets started to come in and the ushers were really rude and all "What are you doing here?" I found this odd and worrisome- wasn't this something that happened every show? Could they maybe figure out a better system? Then they waited until the show was basically starting to sell us the tickets. At the beginning of a show, there is a seating hold for the first number, where people who come in late have to stand in the back and after the first number, the ushers take them to their seats. They sold us the tickets so late, that we had to wait for the seating hold. WHY? We'd been there going on 3 hours.

The whole thing ended up amusing because we actually did get to see it, and I really liked it too, so it was all worth it. I even got my mom to take a picture without putting up a fight! Then we went out to a nice restaurant and went shopping. On the way home, I saw random fireworks and convinced her to chase them. By the time we found where they'd been, they seemed to have stopped, but I was glad I got to see them in the car and it was just one of those really lovely, perfectish days.

Good luck with your interview! I'll probably call or text you later at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment