Saturday, November 8, 2014

Titles are overrated

I saw a buzzfeed article on NaNoWriMo yesterday and thought of you. I should really read these travel blogs, maybe it will inspire me to stop spending money on useless crap and save for my travels instead. Its funny how easily we fall back into old habits. Like I was so good with not shopping and saving money (in my defense that was when I was given more to do at work) and then now the moment I have a little extra time Im back to buying things I dont need again..sigh.

Sorry to hear about the interview, that is very unfortunate but then again I always feel like the jobs you are meant to get you will so maybe he just saved you time and effort by sparing you.Still does not make it any less rude on his part or less annoying, but also why would you want to work for someone who's that rude anyways.

RandomHouse sounds amazing. Like I don't know if I ever even considered publishing a field for me (probably not because I cant ever force myself to read books I dont like), but seriously sounds so cool! And I probably did consider publishing after Being Erica because who wouldnt.  Being in a place surrounded by books sounds homey and awesome. Thats also really great how she gave you such a good breakdown of everything in the industry. Youre so right in that most people will just be like oh yea every day is different. Who made that an acceptable answer? Why do you think you can just get away with saying that? That in no way answers my question of what you do. 

Its also great you got to talk to someone who loved her job but wasnt so biased that she didnt give you the negatives of it as well. The thing about the pay is really really really unfortunate. I personally do not know how anybody could survive in the city getting paid that much but then again I work in finance so they dont teach us to think about those things. Also it just seems beyond ridiculous to me that you wouldnt get paid decently well for a field thats so..important. Like to think that someone who is an analyst for Keeping up with the Kardashians would get paid more than someone who is at a junior level on the team for The Book Thief just makes no sense to me and also basically sums up everything that is wrong with society today. 

I understand this is a scary thing to consider but I also think its really exciting that youre considering it. Ultimately I genuinely believe that at any job rather than the specific skills you pick up its more the transferable skills that matter. Because while maybe the fact that you know a lot of chefs due to Chopped would be great if you were to work at another cooking show, the fact that you've had experience reaching out to random people and making connections with them will ultimately help you more in your future jobs. I also think a lot of job hunting and switching fields comes down to how you market yourself. So even if you did try out publishing and it didnt end up being right for you, whenever you decide to switch out of it you can be like, hey look I switched industries once before and still managed to stay successful so clearly I can easily do it again!

Also while it may seem like the worst thing in the world to be 27 and not have any idea what you want to do with your life, it is nowhere near as bad as being 40 and not knowing what you want to do with your life. If anything, each new thing you try helps you learn more about yourself and what you like/dislike, so even if it doesnt work out youre still better off for having tried it. Not to mention 2 years in the scope of your whole career is close to nothing (this is what I tell myself when I have the epiphany that Im wasting my life in finance).

I do agree with you that the most relevant downside it that it may seem hard to break into, but even this I feel is just a matter of patience. At some point they will need someone, and you will be able to convince them that the someone they need is you..but really there is no saying when that some point will be and I agree that can be scary. But again I do genuinely believe that if something is meant to happen then it will and you just have to have faith in the universe and more importantly, yourself and you will be able to make it happen.

I think its a very girl thing to say that someone got lucky and fell into their dream job. Maybe yes, she happened to choose the right direction to swim towards while the rest of us are still kind of circling around the pool. But still Im sure even she had times when she was unsure of herself and had to work at some point in her life to get to where she is. The reason I say that is because if you put it to luck then it makes it seem like, oh to get to where she is then I have to be lucky too. But I really dont think thats it. Ofcourse luck and fate have to be on your side, but I do genuinely believe that if you work hard enough you will also be able to make it to where she is.

The free books literally sounds like heaven.

I don't think you sounded negative in your last post. Honestly I think these are things we all go through and have to deal with. For my interview last week they told me I wouldnt know until the beginning of next week and while I want to believe that I did well and that if its meant to happen I will get it, I also know that I could just as easily not get it through no fault of my own. Maybe someone else with more experience applied. Maybe someone's cousin was a candidate. Ultimately though I know that I tried my best and thats really all I can control. And if I dont get it well that will suck but I still met amazing people who told me I was a star and that I was very articulate and those are things I can use for my next interview. There's always going to be another interview down the line and another shot at a job.  Thankfully we live in new york.

Speaking of living in New York, I feel like my life has changed a lot every since I moved. Now thats its been a full month I can actually reflect back on it. You know in college when I came home on the weekends it would just be like Im going home because I always go home and it was also very different because back then my sister came home too. But now when I come home it feels like such a drastic change from being in the city. I notice how quiet everything is, how slow everything is, how many more leaves and trees there are. It almost feels like I come to a whole different life here than what its like in the city. And this is with not much else drastically changing too. For the most part the things I do now I always did. I cant say if I like one more than the other because as much as I love the comfort of home, I love how many things are going on in new york. I dont know if I want or need to keep coming home as often now too but for now I will because I know its not easy for my parents to have me out of the house. 

Another weird thing is that in college a lot of times I would enjoy my weeks more than the weekends. I loved seeing the people I saw and I loved being busy. It feels similar now where things move so much faster doing the week that I find myself enjoying it more...except for when Im at work. When Im at work Im counting the days down and waiting for the weekend. And then the weekend comes and I want to be just as busy as I am during the week...

What you said about wanting to hear people's stories..I often feel that way about every topic. I realized this about myself that I genuinely love hearing other people's perspectives and their experiences and once I pass this level with certain people it becomes like a weird obsession where I just want to find out everything about their lives.I think the people I really do this with are people I can genuinely empathize and connect with. Otherwise I just feel lost. If only I could find a way to make this into a job....

No comments:

Post a Comment