Friday, May 16, 2014

And please keep writing. I feel like this is therapy.

It's amazing and comforting to know that we can still be so in sync even when we go months without talking. That's the kind of relationship I had with childhood friends, but it's seems harder to maintain with people I met after high school for some reason. Maybe it's just different types of people. In any case, it's nice to have. And it's nice that we can see each other and have fun and at the same time unload and talk and update each other, and discuss things that are stressful. I like that it doesn't feel one sided :)

Where to start, where to start. I'll start with you. I'm sorry you're going through a frustrating time. I get it. I know that you're going to find a job though that makes you happy and that you are great at. I know this even though it's hard to believe for myself, but if there's one thing I've learned through this London search, it's that trying to schedule things to work out doesn't always, well, work out. So I guess, don't get too stressed if things seem like they are happening at the "wrong time." It will all work out for the best. My work friend who left a couple weeks ago and kept me sane kept saying to me "Everything happens for a reason." Which is funny, because I truly believe that even though normally when people say stuff like that out loud it seems cliche and dismissive, but it calmed me when she said it.

As for your travel plans, I wish I could join you! I feel like I am sort of in that place right now except for this London thing. It's kind of frustratingly paradoxical that trying to do something bold and life-changing has left me unable to make any life decisions. In an effort to remain flexible, it seems I'm accidentally paralyzing myself. Can't book a ticket to St. Louis, Can't tell my mom to get tickets to the ballet... But I will say this: If I get a short term job in London, I would love to spend some time traveling afterward. SOOO IF that happens, you'll be the one I call! And even if not for traveling, the visiting me thing should absolutely happen! Of all of my friends who said they would visit me, I pretty much only believe you.

It's interesting what you said about people not being on the same page as you. I always attribute most of me not being on the same page as my friend to the fact that most of them are married and the fact that NewYorkJewish culture doesn't really encourage going out into the world. It's like "I don't get it. You're in New York. Where would you want to go?' It's seems pretty darn Gen Y of me to want to see the world and do something fulfilling, and yet most of my friends seemed to have missed the memo. Why is this?

Thanks for listening to all of my stuff. My grandfather is okay by the way. He had an angioplasty and they said his arteries in his heart are actually pretty good for someone his age (89). So aside from the frightening chest pains, I suppose we just take that and run with it... I don't know.

Meanwhile, I'm finally leaving Chopped! My boss told me the 23rd so I started making all the appointments I've been putting off for the following week. So if she decides next Wednesday that she needs me for longer, I'll be able to say "Sorry! I'm all booked up!" A little too booked up... So far, I have an appointment Tuesday, two on Wednesday, and another on Thursday. I'm guessing I'll try to see the allergist too in addition to those.

It's been a good learning experience working at Chopped, but I'm tired of how it's dragged on and how they take advantage of me. I recently found out that someone I worked with was making 1200$ a week to my $700. She's a position higher than I am but that is a big difference, especially when you consider that most of the time I WAS DOING HER JOB! It makes me realize that I need to be on other projects and then have some leverage if I decide to come back. It's pretty gross to think that they are keeping me on so that I don't leave and demand more money next time, but I think that's the case all the same. Nice people in life, nasty, cheap people in business. Live and Learn.

Until next time! And by the way, crazy story about your friend moving! Good for her!


No comments:

Post a Comment