Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Classtime/Passtime

So I was thinking about our conversation last night. Not any of the important ones, just the one where you were trying to figure if you knew the RA I met. I was thinking about how sometimes you (people in general) assume you're going to know people because you have some peripheral mutual affiliation, but the truth is it's probably unlikely that you actually know them. As a New Yorker at Rutgers, this happens a lot to me when people know a Jew from Queens. I really just assume I'll know them even though I probably don't. And then when I don't, I don't say "Oh, that's weird, how could I not know who that is?" I say "Hm... nope, don't know her... I actually really only know about 4% of the Jews in Queens anyway." I just think that's strange.

What's also strange is how many professors preach their beliefs under the guise of teaching you to be a free thinker. I have two teachers like this at the moment, well kind of three, but the main two I'm thinking of are at opposite ends of the political spectrum (and the stupidity spectrum) anyway so I guess it balances out. What I hate is that my cognition teacher makes me so much angrier than the other professor. Because here I am, in class, writing this post and listen to him lecture about how there isn't a soul. He's entitled to his belief. According to him, I'm entitled to mine too... assuming of course that I know my opinion is wrong. Like "Think what you want, but just FYI what you think is, like, ridiculously incorrect."

I should be doing my film homework. I'm so tired though. I stayed up til 3something last night looking at classes. I think I might have figured out a way to do the internship but it means putting off math yet again (and therefore ending up taking it senior year). It means taking an online class. And it means taking an Honors seminar. I would have a 9:50 3hour on both Monday and Wednesday, a MW 1:10- 2:30 honors seminar (in the Brett Seminar room :/), and then a MW 4:30-5:50. That's 4 classes. The online class would be by appt. obviously.
  • Problem A. The 3 hour on Monday is Screenwriting... It's not the Writing for television section that I thought I would take which isn't the hugest deal except I can't find a revue for the Professor- never comforting... the only way around this is the 3hour on a friday- which doesn't seem advisable.
  • Problem B. Two 3 hours- also not the biggest deal in the world, but I just would like to point out that 3 hours are loooooong periods of time.
  • Problem C. An Online class- what if it's a lot of work and I don't have time?
  • Problem D. A film class with a screening at 6:10 on Wed. Night- We might change Kol Halayla rehearsal to Wed. night so this would leave me with approximately enough time to watch movies and maybe eat dinner before KH- just a long day- 9:50am-11pm pretty much straight. Yikes.
  • Problem E. The seminar seems interesting (ish) and I do still need Honors classes, but sometimes they're more work than their worth. Animal Studies- not necessarily what it sounds like... 
But I think all of these problems are just cover-ups for the real problem: Do I really want to have an internship two days a week? Isn't it crazy to be on a 7:15 am bus in the morning for a net of probably something like $100 a week?  Will I be crazy busy all the time? Will I have time for Kol Halayla? Do I want to leave my math class for senior year? Will I be able to get all of the work done? Will I hate it?

Just for the sake of balance, here are the Pros
  • No friday classes- I'm hoping this would kind of balance out the too busy thing
  • Holy crap, I actually only have class two days a week
  • I'll get to be in the city- I love to be in the city...
  • Hopefully I'll be doing something I really enjoy with people I enjoy
  • I'll be getting yet another experience from this industry- more experience gives me more of an idea of what I want or don't want to do with my life. It gives me more to think about, opens my mind up to more options for the future...
Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment