Thursday, July 9, 2015

Better late than never I hope

So I know I initially promised you last weekend which is retrospect was a stupid thing to promise because I knew I was going away for the weekend and wouldn't have my computer with me but alas a promise was broken and I am deeply ashamed. I definitely want to apologize for that and for being an absent/flaky/distracted/bad friend as of late. I really do feel bad for cancelling on you so last minute but I really could not handle plans that day and I saw via snap that you found someone else to accompany you so hopefully that worked out ok. I also see via snap now that you are on a lovely cruise so I hope you are enjoying that as well.

Now on to life updates...there is a lot so I will make a list:

1. Work. I'm not sure if I told you but I got a new job within Barclays. One of the people who I had interviewed with for a job in september (that I did not get and was pretty upset about) reached out to me saying that he had an opening in his time and would I be interested, etc. so that was awesome. I interviewed/ went through anxiety/ got it and started about 3 weeks ago (wow I cant believe its already been that long). Its still in the same company but aside from that it feels very different than before. For now I dont hate what Im doing so thats a good start. Im not really doing real things yet but I am learning a lot and working with really smart people so I am grateful for that. The meh news is I have to study for and get these 3 licenses for the job so that has to happen some point in the near future. It takes about a month to study for each (maybe more) so we will see how it goes. At first when I heard this I (ofcourse) freaked out since Im still doing GMAT studying but not really any way out of this situation so I will just have to face my reality.

Speaking of GMAT I scheduled my second attempt (July 23) which is fast approaching so Im trying to just give it my all now because after that I really have to start studying for my other tests. When did I start being in school again. Hopefully at the end of this year when I have passed all my tests I can take an amazing vacation and reflect on my successful crazy year. Until then though I will have to put myself on lockdown (so nothing new as far as 2015 is concerned).

2. Moving. So initially the 3 of us (me + my 2 roommates) had started looking for a new apartment early June.  I had severely underestimated the stress and effort required to find a good apartment in NYC so I was pretty much clueless at this point in time. My roommates weren't really being that helpful because one of them was always at work and the other one kept insisting we find a no fee apartment (pretty much impossible if you are looking for a place in June) but did not make the effort to find said apartments herself. Either way we still looked at a few places with nothing really good coming out of it. Then a week and half into June my one roommate (the one who was insisting on the no fee- Pras) said she was no longer going to live with us because she wanted to move in with her bf. Ugh. After about 2 minutes of being annoyed me and Kathy were extremely relieved. The fun continued. Now with about 2 and a half weeks to go Kathy and I started apt hunting with brokers who were a whole new kind of fun (sarcasm). Luckily this was my last week in my old role so I was able to leave work in the middle of the day to go look at apartments. Otherwise I dont even know how we would have seen places. I saw a 2 places I liked both of which were taken before we could put an application in. Upon hearing this Kathy freaked out and submitted an application for a 6th floor walk up. Thankfully we were outbid (I didnt even know that was a thing before this whole process). She also submitted an application for a railroad style apt for which we again were outbid (the housing market is legit insane). FINALLY I found our current apartment on the day before I started my new job. We signed the lease a couple of days later.

As if all that wasn't fun enough moving was a whole new adventure. Initially we thought we had to be out of our old place by the 30th so we booked movers for that day and confirmed with the lady in the rental office that we would be able to move into our current place by then. She said that would be no problem and we could pick up the keys from the super. On the day of the 30th my roomate (who had taken off work) calls the super and he tells us there is no way we can move in that day since the previous tenants haven't moved out yet. What. We called the housing lady and ofcourse she was like oh really...I guess you cant move in then. You can move in anytime tomm. It was a small miracle that our movers let us reschedule the move for the next day ( every other movers we called were booked for a week).

Thankfully after all this craziness we have finally moved in to our apt. Its 1st street, 2nd ave so on the border of east vill. The best part is that there is a small 3 person fitting elevator. It feels like a luxury.

So thats pretty much me. Im sure you update will be a lot more fun and exciting judging by your trip pictures. All of them really looked amazing and I loved seeing them/living vicariously through them. I am aiming to take small hiatus from studying after my gmat date before I start the other tests so it would be great if I can see you during that time! Or maybe even the day before my test like I did last time! No insomnia cookies here but I think we will be able to find something to eat :)


No comments:

Post a Comment