Monday, May 18, 2015

Life Updates and Other Unimaginative Titles

Hellllloooo there, 

So last week, one of my roommates found bed bugs in her room.  Fun stuff. I found out last Monday when roommate #2 forwarded me the email that confirmed that Roommate #1 had bed bugs. Then neither of them answered my calls for about an hour. I'd been at home since Saturday night for Mother's Day, so I just went home again Monday night while I processed. In the morning, my mom dropped me off at the apartment to clean. I did laundry, brought stuff to the dry cleaners and the Laundromat, stripped my bed, threw everything in my closet in the dryer, and bagged every single thing in my room. I know that it doesn't seem like I should have a lot of stuff there, but as it happens. It took me about 5 hours to do everything. And I didn't even do everything! I got to work at 1pm. Luckily, my team covered from me, and no one seems to notice when I'm missing at this place. 

To make a long story shorter, the people come to do the treatment 3 consecutive weeks. They came last Wednesday and only found anything in Roommate #1's room. I also have felt nothing, no bites, no itching, not even the paranoid psychological kind. We brought everything home on Sunday, and it's all bagged in my garage. Rebecca, from whom I am subletting, said the girls are going to try and get out of the lease early, leaving me off the hook for July and she's going to split June with me. So that's a relief money-wise. And that's the end of that I suppose. I'm going to need to take things out of the bag, but we're waiting to make sure my room turns up clean again this Wednesday, though I'm pretty confident it will. It's mainly for my Mom's peace of mind. I'm of the belief that there's nothing on any of my stuff and this whole week has been nothing but the annoyance of precautions on top of precautions. But, on the off chance I'm wrong, I want to make sure I'm doing everything her way because as bad as it was to bag my room, the though of what I'd do if it got into the house is really just plain terrifying and overwhelming to think about. As far as we know though, everything's clean. All my clothing has been laundered. My jackets, my purse, all dried on high heat. And now I'm back living at home again. 

The whole thing has just made me feel slightly defeated like there's nothing I can do right, but truthfully it is a mixed blessing because it means I don't have to worry about "getting my money's worth anymore." Especially since my mom booked a cruise for July 7th. So I leave next Tuesday night, get home June 18th, then leave again July 7th. No complaints here...

Still, it's hard to not see it as a sign. The problem is- a sign of what? That I shouldn't be living in the Heights? That it wasn't the right time? That there's a reason I need to be home? That I shouldn't be in NY at all? Or was it all just a serious case of bad timing upon bad timing? It's really difficult to not think about it in those terms. Especially since these events seems to really strongly center around my living plans. Last year at almost exactly this time, I was super serious about London, and my mom had to have radiation for cancer and Midnight died. This time around, Mischief died, I moved out anyway, and then come the bedbugs, literally- literally- forcing me back home.  

I won't say this is the worst part about all this, but my trip has kind of snuck up on me, and I don't have as much done as I would like. I realized this last week before the whole thing starts (Crazy sidenote- the apartment I booked in Innsbruck is Lia's old apartment... WHAAA???), but then all of my spare time and brainspace has been dedicated to sorting it all out. I guess it'll all be worth it when I get on that plane. And maybe I'll need to wing it a little more like all the bloggers do. Maybe it means not having everything booked and planned. Maybe that's not the worst thing. Plus, my travel books are in the stupid bags!!! I mean come on. 

Then something else happened today that made me just want to floor and laugh forever. Remember Coby? Eric's cousin. You'll recall, surely. Anyway, he just got married on Thursday (I'm not even going to go there)... Rena got home from Israel yesterday and today she texted me to call her so she could ask me a question. I thought it might be work related- that thing I keep posting about Mike's Bistro - not important if you haven't seen it- so I gave her a call. First of all, she used it to do like a whole long catch-up, which is like "I have a job!!" But anyway she was calling because she met one of Coby's friends while she was there and wants to set me up with him. She met a friend of Coby. At Coby's wedding. And wants to set me up with him. Which isn't sooooo weird on it's own if you don't let it be, but she also asked Coby his opinion on the whole thing. She aslo didn't get his information, so when I said I'd consider it when I get home, she said she'd get in touch with Coby to get his number. Oy. Anyway there are just like about 3 people who will understand why I was bursting during this conversation. 

Hope you're doing well. Let me know if you want to meet up at some point before I leave (Basically wednesday or thursday I guess- Sunday and Monday are Shavuot) Oh! Did you want to come over for Shavuot? We can work that out if you like, maybe Sunday or Saturday night, though I know you don't like driving at night. Let me know. I'm like 95% sure there are no bed bugs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment